675 Fisher Branch Rd.,
Marshall, NC 28753
Year Built: 1880s
Historic Owners: Maude Boone
Built by Bascombe Silvers, owner, in the 1880s with local carpenters Bob Hylton and Dolph Coates. The metal roof replaced the split shingle roof around 1940, the added roof elevation extension was after WWII. The farm had a “worm fence”, of split chestnut rails, the bottom rail was laid off on new moon according to tradition, to avoid rotting. (Provided by Wayne Boone)
Historic Use: General purpose / livestock hay
Type of Construction: Post and Beam, Hewn Timbers, and Notched Logs
Siding Materials: Milled Boards, Lattice, and Exposed logs
Roof Shape: Gable
Roofing Materials: Split wood Shingles
Roof Framing: Unknown
Foundation: Dry-Laid Stone
Species of Wood: Chestnut and Various Other
Hinges: Commercial Metal
May have had earlier wood hinges
Stall doors have varying door hinges. Hewn logs are large, with largest at 17.5 inches high. Extensive lattice work, yet it has only one layer of lattice unlike most barns of this era with opposing double lattice strips. This barn is a type of separate bank barn with a bridge from the south bank to the loft level.
Outbuildings: The can house was built in the 1960s. The spring house is up the branch on the south side of the farm.
NOTE: The information above is an abridged list. For the full unabridged list (complete details), please download the PDF of the Data Form above.
NOTE: These photographs are meant to illustrate various features and construction elements of this barn.