Levi Branch and Big Pine Road
Year Built: 1930s
Historic Owners: Major Marler, John Shelton
John Daniel Shelton, born July 1882, lived to be 99 years old. He spent much of his life in the Wilson Cove area of Big Pine where he built at least three other large log barns, on very steep land, which were likely flue-cured tobacco barns. According to family history, Shelton always built his barns and farmed “by the signs.” This barn is an exceptional example of a round log bank barn using a massive rock retaining wall, saddle notches and the old tradition of continuing the log wall into the gable end. The near-perfectly round logs form a barn 26 feet square, and run 25 logs high, totaling 100 logs, plus 24 tapered logs in the gable ends. The family recalls that his daughter-in-law, Pearl, helped fell and drag the logs by horse team from many miles away on Doe Branch. The barn is in very good condition considering it is over eighty years old and sits in a damp creek bottom. The old house also stood nearby until the new road was built.
Historic Use: burley tobacco
Type of Construction: Notched Logs
Siding Materials: Exposed logs
Roof Shape: Gable
Roofing Materials: 5-V metal and Unknown
Roof Framing: Purlin roof framing
Foundation: Dry-Laid Stone
Species of Wood: Various Other
Hinges: Commercial Metal
Fasteners: Wire nails
The length of the roof is broken by another set of logs of deceasing lengths that mirror the end gable logs, to support the purlins.
This is a bank barn, but the bank was altered when the road was upgraded and no longer functions as a bank barn.
Outbuildings: There was a house approx. 80’ to the west.
NOTE: The information above is an abridged list. For the full unabridged list (complete details), please download the PDF of the Data Form above.
NOTE: These photographs are meant to illustrate various features and construction elements of this barn.