32 Spillcorn Rd. at junction of Spillcorn Rd. and Big Laurel Rd, Marshall, NC
Year Built: 1910
Historic Owners: Jesse Wallin, Jack Wallin
This farm was a large farmstead and included the large, two story house, across the road, now in ruins, and a large general store, still existing near the barn, which also served as the post office and community gathering place. Jesse Wallin, born in 1850s, had 14 children, 9 boys and 5 girls. Neighbor and descendant Jack Wallin, at 828-656-9457, 78 years old provided the only history. He also mentioned Rockwood tobacco, grown for chewing tobacco, perhaps similar or the same as Bull Face tobacco. The metal roof replacement occurred after WWII, approximately 1946.
The crib addition, with 3-V roofing, is thought to have been built in the 1930’s.
Historic Use: Livestock, Tobacco, General Purpose
Type of Construction: Post and Beam, Timber Frame, Mortise and tenon, Sawn lumber, Hewn Timbers, and Stud Frame
Siding Materials: Milled Boards and Lattice
Roof Shape: Gable
Roofing Materials: Split wood Shingles
Roof Framing: Milled rafters
Foundation: Dry-Laid Stone and Wood sills on rock piers
Species of Wood: Chestnut and Various Other
Hinges: Commercial Metal
Fasteners: Wire nails
Additional traditional features, list: tack hooks made of tree forks, handmade milking stool. This is a common bank barn form with the bank supported by a massive rock wall, which is deteriorating.
Outbuildings: Crib with 3-V roofing circa 1930’s; garage construction date not known. The late 19th century house and store remain, though the house is in severe disrepair.
NOTE: The information above is an abridged list. For the full unabridged list (complete details), please download the PDF of the Data Form above.
NOTE: These photographs are meant to illustrate various features and construction elements of this barn.