6378 US Highway 23
Year Built: 1880-1900
Historic Owners: Tom Brown; Fred Ledford
The Tom Brown barn is also known by an earlier owner’s name, O. B. Holcombe, who built and lived in the smaller single story rear section of the house. The farmstead was purchased by Tom Brown in 1892, and he had the large, ornately decorated two story section of the house built in 1894, reportedly by Lee Carter, likely with the help of Joe Carter and Melvin Metcalf. The barn has features of a late 19th century barn yet without the log crib base. It appears to be a transitional form that was evolving away from the hewn log tradition, as sawn lumber became more available or affordable for the owner. The road in front of this property was upgraded to become US 23 in 1937, and provided a major route across the mountains to Tennessee.
This barn was altered with vertical and horizontal tier poles to adapt it for hanging burley tobacco. The tier poles have since been removed to allow the loft to return to hay storage as it was originally intended. Outbuildings include the concrete foundation of a silo, which was likely wood, a large rock foundation that was likely a granary, and a corn crib.
Historic Use: livestock, general purpose, burley tobacco
Type of Construction: Post and Beam, Sawn lumber, and Stud Frame
Siding Materials: Milled Boards and Lattice
Roof Shape: Gable
Roofing Materials: Split wood Shingles
Roof Framing: Milled rafters
Foundation: Dry-Laid Stone
Species of Wood: Chestnut
Hinges: Commercial Metal
Fasteners: Wire nails
Outbuildings: silo, and the stone foundation of a grainery or canning house, and a ruined corn crib.
NOTE: The information above is an abridged list. For the full unabridged list (complete details), please download the PDF of the Data Form above.
NOTE: These photographs are meant to illustrate various features and construction elements of this barn.