Junction of NC Highway 63 and Reeves Home Road,
Marshall, NC 28753
Year Built: early to mid-19th century, pre-Civil War
Historic Owners: Malachiah Reeves and descendants
This log barn was built before the Civil War, as part of the original homestead, according to family tradition. Oral tradition also describes a Reeves man, likely the son of Malachiah Reeves, was present during the Civil War when Unionist raiders, perhaps George Kirk’s “Raiders”, were pillaging in the valley. To keep them from stealing his mule, he hid in this log barn with the mule to hide from the raiders.
The Sandy Mush valley included the Glance family, reported to be dominantly of German ancestry. The log construction in this valley is of a higher quality from other county areas and begs the question if the higher standards of German log building may have influenced log construction here. This is a question requiring further research.
Historic Use: Livestock and general purpose
Type of Construction: Hewn Timbers and Notched Logs
Siding Materials: Exposed logs
Roof Shape: Gable
Roofing Materials: Split wood Shingles and 5-V metal
Roof Framing: Round pole rafters
Foundation: Dry-Laid Stone
Species of Wood: Chestnut and Various Other
Hinges: Commercial Metal
Fasteners: Wire nails, Cut Nails, and Other
Commercial metal hinges added later
tier poles may have never been in this barn but evidence is unclear
Additional traditional features: many changes and repairs have been made over the years, nothing notable.
Outbuildings: The main house is a large 2-storey brick house built in 1860. There are many other buildings on the property including a store, several barns and outbuildings. One barn is built using the logs from the original Reeves log house.
NOTE: The information above is an abridged list. For the full unabridged list (complete details), please download the PDF of the Data Form above.
NOTE: These photographs are meant to illustrate various features and construction elements of this barn.