1229 Paint Fork Road
Mars Hill NC 28754
Year Built: 1880-90
Historic Owners: D. Nelson Anderson; Oscar Anderson, Sr. and Jr.
This farm is located within a large open valley and includes a large amount of prime bottomland, part of an original 600+ acre purchase in the 1797, according to family history. The land included an active Indian path and because the area had only recently been opened to white settlement, the first family was concerned about possible hostilities.
From an interview with Oscar Anderson, Sr. in 1985, he stated that the large barn was built as a livestock barn in 1903 and later adapted for air curing burley tobacco. It is currently used for general utility and storage.
The house was built by carpenter Joe Carter for $300 in 1888, for D. Nelson Anderson (b. 1857-d. 1920). It is not known what name the initial “D” stands for. The brick was made of clay from the site and was fired on site.
The log house next to the barn, was built by John Anderson, thought by family members to have been built around 1840. It was where D. Nelson Anderson was born in 1857, and was earlier located up the hollow (Walker Branch) where there are ruins of a log blacksmith shop and springhouse. According to family members, it has notches cut in the log walls, reportedly for musket placement to defend against Indian attack, and a hollow cut into one log for hiding valuables and money.
The farm has several outbuildings including a large corn crib, a large round log Bull Face tobacco barn, and a smoke house.
Historic Use: livestock, general purpose, burley tobacco
Type of Construction: Post and Beam, Mortise and tenon, Sawn lumber, Hewn Timbers, and Notched Logs
Siding Materials: Milled Boards, Lattice, and Exposed logs
Roof Shape: Gable
Roofing Materials: Split wood Shingles
Roof Framing: Milled rafters
Foundation: Dry-Laid Stone and Wood sills on rock piers
Species of Wood: Chestnut
Hinges: Wrought Iron and Commercial Metal
Fasteners: Wire nails and Wrought Spikes
bank barn with large rock retaining wall
Outbuildings: the farm has several outbuildings including a large corn crib, log Bull Face tobacco barn, smoke house, and an early log house now used as a barn. The large two story 1890 house is in good condition
NOTE: The information above is an abridged list. For the full unabridged list (complete details), please download the PDF of the Data Form above.
NOTE: These photographs are meant to illustrate various features and construction elements of this barn.