224 Allen Drive,
Marshall NC 28753
Historic Owners: Janice Roberts
The Allen E. Roberts barns share a common history that dates to the early 1800s. Both barns are examples of log cabins that were replaced by more modern houses, then converted to burley tobacco barns in the mid- 1950s, likely by Allen E. Roberts. This was a common practice, as families became prosperous and built the newer-style frame houses. Roberts family oral tradition suggests the upper log cabin was originally built in 1819, while the other cabin may be of similar age. It is not known who built these two cabins, but this area was owned by two recipients of large land grants, Mark Mitchell and Thomas Davidson, having served in the Revolutionary War. They were granted 50,000 acres by the state in 1795. This tract was purchased by Joseph J. Gudger in 1843 and became part of a massive 75,000-acre tract. The earliest record of a Roberts family purchase in this valley was in 1851. The Roberts barns are from a two-story log cabin, and a story and a half cabin, both of finely hewn logs with half-dovetail corner notches, the largest log being 19 inches high. On both barns, the height was extended, and an addition was built on the north ends in the mid- 1950s, all of which was to hang air-cured burley tobacco.
Historic Use: hewn log home, relocated, with burley tobacco adaptations
Type of Construction: Notched Logs
Siding Materials: Exposed logs
Roof Shape: Gable
Roofing Materials: Split wood Shingles
Foundation: Dry-Laid Stone and Wood sills on rock piers
Species of Wood: Chestnut and Various Other
Hinges and fasteners unknown
square seats cut into logs for placement of original floor joists are present.
NOTE: The information above is an abridged list. For the full unabridged list (complete details), please download the PDF of the Data Form above.
NOTE: These photographs are meant to illustrate various features and construction elements of this barn.