The barn stood at the intersection of NC 212 and NC208 and unfortunately succumbed to time and weather and was demolished
Year Built: 1925-35
Historic Owners: Will Cook
This barn was a rare example of an advertising barn, once common in the county. The house served as the local post office at one time. The farm sits at the junction of NC 212, Shelton Laurel Creek valley, and NC 208, Little Laurel Creek valley, an important junction for travel and trade. This was part of the Gahagan land that extended from Walnut to the TN state line, and this community, now called Belva, was once called Gahagan. Unfortunately, the barn was demolished in spring 2016 after the documentation was completed.
Historic Use: Livestock and burley tobacco
Type of Construction: Post and Beam, Sawn lumber, and Stud Frame
Siding Materials: Milled Boards and Lattice
Roof Shape: Gable
Roofing Materials: 5-V metal
Roof Framing: Milled rafters
Foundation: Dry-Laid Stone
Species of Wood: Chestnut and Various Other
Hinges: Commercial Metal
Fasteners: Wire nails
Stall doors are mortise and tenon; stall doors are unusually large at 41” x 73”; hallway end doors are also large.
Outbuildings: a small building behind house may have been a smokehouse or shop, built same time as house in 1920s.
NOTE: The information above is an abridged list. For the full unabridged list (complete details), please download the PDF of the Data Form above.
NOTE: These photographs are meant to illustrate various features and construction elements of this barn.