20163 NC Highway 209
Hot Springs NC 28743
Year Built: 1947
Historic Owners: Charles J. Justice
From conversation with owner Troy Justice, the barn was built 1947-48 by his father Charles J. Justice and his uncle James, C. J.’s brother. James later became a builder in Brevard and still lives there, is 84 years old. They poured concrete footings and embedded hemlock sills into the concrete, but ran out of hemlock framing and used whatever was available. They also used lumber salvaged from a house in Marion NC. Concrete was made using sand and lime hauled from Hot Springs. The shed addition rotted and collapsed, built later than barn. The barn was originally built for burley tobacco and livestock. C. J. may have copied a barn they had seen below Lusk Chapel church, or another similar barn below Ball City church by the Plemmons’ large white house. The log pens and corrals in the pasture are thought to be from the 1890’s. This barn may be the first in the township that exhibits the distinctive Dutch gambrel roof with Flemish eaves and strong diagonal siding, a Spring Creek style trend of this period that is not often found expressed in other townships. Though built as a livestock barn, it has always been used as a burley tobacco barn as well. This farmstead is one of the highest in Madison County at over 3800 feet elevation.
Historic Use: burley tobacco, livestock, storage
Type of Construction: Post and Beam, Sawn lumber, and Stud Frame
Siding Materials: Milled Boards and Lattice
Roof Shape: Gambrel
Roofing Materials: 3-V metal
Roof Framing: Milled rafters and Gambrel shallow trusses
Foundation: Dry-Laid Stone and Concrete
Species of Wood: Chestnut and Various Other
Hinges: Commercial Metal
Fasteners: Wire nails
Split paling fence for corralling cattle
Outbuildings: none surviving
NOTE: The information above is an abridged list. For the full unabridged list (complete details), please download the PDF of the Data Form above.
NOTE: These photographs are meant to illustrate various features and construction elements of this barn.